Previous articlecampaign_image.jpgNext article010318_UTPB_WT_A&M_men_08 Digital AIM Web Support ECISD board member Steve Brown Ector County Independent School District board member Steve Brown has been elected by the Texas Association of School Boards to fill an interim position on the TASB Board of Directors, representing TASB Region 18. Brown said this term is up in July 2019 and then comes up for reelection. Three applied for the position and he was selected. Lee Lentz, president of the Kermit ISD board, previously held the spot and is now president elect of the TASB Board of Directors, Brown said. Brown is an Odessa native and has served 35 years in ECISD as a teacher and administrator. After retiring from the district in 2011, Brown ran for school board. He is currently in his second term as a trustee, a district newsletter said. He has completed the Leadership TASB program and is a Master Trustee. Brown has been actively involved in education and community organizations, including the United Way of Odessa, West Texas Educators Credit Union, Texas Association of Secondary Principals, Greater Opportunities of the Permian Basin Head Start and Medical Center Hospital Advisory Board. He received his doctorate in education administration, master of education in guidance and counseling, and bachelor’s in political science from Texas Tech University. He also earned a master of education in education administration from Sul Ross State University. TASB is a nonprofit association established in 1949 to serve local public school boards. School board members are the largest group of publicly elected officials in the state. The districts they represent serve more than 5.3 million students. Twitter Facebook Facebook Pinterest Twitter TAGS Pinterest WhatsApp By Digital AIM Web Support – February 24, 2021 Local News Brown elected to TASB board WhatsApp
The California Cattlemen’s Association will celebrate their Centennial at next week’s convention. In honor of the event, a coffee table book with 106 ranch histories of CCA members has been published. I submitted the Willard – Barton Ranch history.The history of the Willard Ranches parallels that of the sheep and cattle development in the Sacramento Valley and summer grazing in Lassen County.Beginning over 143 years ago, the sheep and cattle have carried many different brands: WI, HW, V, Lazy …
About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Real Madrid midfielder Modric delighted to win CWC: A perfect yearby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveReal Madrid midfielder Luka Modric was delighted to score in the Club World Cup final victory over Al Ain.Although he admits maybe he should shoot more, Modric is not overly concerned by his lack of goals for Los Blancos.”Everyone tells me that I have to shoot more, but I like to give the pass to my teammates,” Modric said. “I don’t shoot a lot, it’s true, but when I do shoot it often goes in.”I have to do it more, but it doesn’t obsess me.”I help the team in other ways.”Lifting the Club World Cup ends an incredible year for Modric, in which he won the Ballon d’Or.”It has been an unforgettable year,” he added. “It has been perfect.”This year will always have a special place in my heart and I cannot ask for more.”
Six stories in the news for Wednesday, Aug. 28———FIRST INTERIOR SHOTS OF HMS TERROR RELEASEDParks Canada has released the first pictures from inside the HMS Terror, one of the two ships in the doomed Franklin Expedition. The pictures show a vessel amazingly shipshape despite more than 170 years beneath the Arctic seas. Parks Canada archaeologist Ryan Harris says a robotic camera showed everything from neatly stacked plates to chamberpots to scientific instruments still in their cases. He says the camera was able to peer into the private quarters of the ships officers. The Terror and its sister ship the Erebus set out from England in 1845 in search of the Northwest Passage. Neither Sir John Franklin nor his 129 were ever heard from again. But with a blend of Inuit oral history and systematic, high-tech surveys, the Erebus was found in 2014 and the Terror two years later.———CITIES ASK PARTIES TO FILL HOUSING-PLAN GAPSCanada’s cities are asking federal parties to add more than $500 million a year to the national government’s decade-long housing strategy. The Federation of Canadian Municipalities says the measures are needed to fill gaps in the plan over its remaining eight years, to make renting more affordable and keep people from going homeless. Among the requests are a new fund to help seniors pay for refits so they can stay in their homes longer, another to help build more housing for urban Indigenous people, and a separate program to pay for units for homeless people with mental illnesses. Cities are also asking parties to consider a combination of subsidies and tax credits for owners of aging rental buildings to pay for upgrades and maintain the apartments as low-cost units. The measures in the platform being made public today would cost about $580 million a year over the remaining eight years of the existing housing strategy.———GIRLS AND WOMEN BECOMING MORE INVOLVED IN B.C. GANGSGirls and women are not immune from gang violence in British Columbia’s Lower Mainland. Females often become involved as girlfriends, but experts say they’re increasingly active participants, carrying guns and drugs or providing their names for houses, cars, credit cards and phones. While females sometimes mistakenly believe they’re safe from gunfire, several have been killed over the years. Now, prevention programs are targeting girls and women to keep them out of gangs. Vancouver police Detectives Sandy Avelar and Anisha Parhar have started a program called Her Time that educates girls about the dangers of the gang lifestyle. Parhar says females are often assumed to be naive bystanders or helpless victims, but some girls and women are more deeply involved than they’re letting on.———CLOSING ARGUMENTS TODAY FOR GERMAN TOURIST SHOOTINGClosing arguments are scheduled today in the trial of a youth accused of shooting a German tourist in the head on a highway west of Calgary. The teen from the Stoney Nakoda First Nation, who cannot be identified because he was 16 at the time, faces several charges that include aggravated assault. Court heard that Horst Stewin was driving a black SUV through the First Nation with his family last summer, when someone in a passing car shot him. The car veered off the highway and crashed into some trees. Stewin survived but is paralyzed on his right side, gets confused and has memory issues. Other people in the car identified the shooter as the youth, who had been sitting in the back seat, but Stewin’s wife testified the shot came from a man in the front of the vehicle.———CANADIAN SENTENCED IN CUBA WAS SET UP: LAWYERA Canadian man sentenced to 10 years in a Cuban prison says he is innocent, and his lawyer says his client was likely set up following a night of partying in a seaside town outside the popular resort destination of Varadero. Benjamin Tomlin, 46, was arrested in August 2018 and charged with having sex with a 15-year-old. The age of consent in Cuba is 16. Tomlin’s Canadian lawyer, Ricardo Alcolado Perez, said the legal proceedings were plagued with irregularities. None of the witnesses in the case — including the minor with whom he is accused of having sexual relations —identified Tomlin in court, Alcolado Perez said. Tomlin’s sister, Caroline Simpson of Montreal, said he has not received adequate consular services because of staffing shortages due to the mysterious “Havana syndrome” that has sickened employees at the Canadian and U.S. embassies.———RESEARCHERS CALL FOR CALORIE LABELLING ON ALCOHOLA study suggests the average Canadian drinker receives more than one-tenth of their daily recommended calories from alcoholic beverages, but you wouldn’t know it from looking at the label. Researchers at University of Victoria looked at Statistics Canada data on alcohol sales and consumption between 2015-2016 to calculate how many calories Canadians consume from booze. The study, originally published in the Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research in February, estimates the average Canadian drinker consumes 250 calories from alcohol per day — the equivalent of a grab bag of chips.———ALSO IN THE NEWS:— MP Kent Hehr will announced funding for the preservation of Indigenous languages in Calgary and surrounding area.— Manitoba political leaders take part in a 50-minute televised debate today in Winnipeg.— The trial continues today in Vancouver for Andrew Berry, who is charged with second-degree murder in the death of his two daughters.— Minister of Economic Development Ranj Pillai and Philippines Secretary of Labour and Employment Silvestre H. Bello will make a labour and immigration announcement today in Whitehorse.The Canadian Press
Operation Smile will honor Kate Hudson, Andrew Dolce, and Mediterranean Shipping Company at this year’s 14th Annual Smile Event in New York City.The evening will take place at 6 p.m. on Thursday, May 12th at Cipriani 42nd Street and will help to raise funds and awareness for children around the world suffering from cleft lip, cleft palate, and other facial deformities. Longtime Smile ambassador, Brooke Burke-Charvet, will be the master of ceremonies.Kate Hudson will receive the Universal Smile Award for her dedication to improving the lives of others and setting an example of exceptional leadership. Operation Smile Co-Founders Dr. Bill and Kathy Magee will present Andrew Dolce with the John Connor Humanitarian Award and Mediterranean Shipping Company will receive the children’s medical charity’s Corporate Humanitarian Award.Guests will celebrate over 240,000 life-changing surgical interventions, and learn about how we are expanding our reach to include permanent cleft care centers, while training and educating local professionals to help us find the patients who are the hardest to reach in the most remote regions.“We are so excited to celebrate the hard-work of Operation Smile and our supporters. We believe every child deserves exceptional surgical care and that they deserve to be treated as if they were our own,” says Dr. Bill Magee, CEO and Co-Founder of Operation Smile. The evening will include a cocktail reception, premier dinner, live auction, and entertainment followed by an after party with music from DJ Eric Hutchinson.Fellow supporters and committee members, Nancy H. Arias, Chris Ashley, Jared S. Baumeister, Stacey Bendet-Eisner, Joe & Ann Berkery, Cyndi Berzow, Jason Binn, Alison Brettschneider, Jess Levin Conroy, Dori Cooperman, James and Cory Cotto, Claudine DeNiro, Dr. Forouzan Ghaffari & Associates , Johnson & Johnson, Rich & Jana Kleiman, Mat and Lisa Lori, James and Barbara Majeski, Corey Reese, Charlotte Ronson, Amy Sacco, Jennifer Salke, Dani Stahl, Mark & Candy Udell and Randi Udell- Alper will also be in attendance to lend their support to this year’s event.For more info, click here.
Andres Iniesta has been presented with the Sporting Merit Medal of Honour by the new Spanish prime minister Pedro Sanchez during a team training sessionThe veteran playmaker has now officially left Barcelona for J-League side Vissel Kobe and likely played his final game on home soil in Spain’s 1-1 draw with Switzerland on Sunday.Sanchez hailed Iniesta for his match-winning goal that won Spain the 2010 World Cup and stated that the 34-year-old has been a great example for future generations in his time playing in La Liga.“We all remember your goal in Johannesburg, when you showed what a great person you are with your celebration to another great sportsperson who is no longer with us,” said Sanchez, according to Marca.Quiz: How much do you know about David Villa? Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Time to test your knowledge about Spanish legendary forward David Villa.“These are the values that you and your colleagues represent and they should be an example for all kids.”After accepting the medal, Iniesta thanked all of his club and international teammates.“I want to thank my teammates at club and international level because a large part of this medal is down to then,” he said.
Spain manager Fernando Hierro has once more defended goalkeeper David De Gea after he accidentally allowed Cristiano Ronaldo’s shot to slip through his hands in their 3-3 draw against PortugalFollowing a challenging week at the Spanish training camp that saw their football federation fire head coach Julen Lopetegui with just days before their first game of the World Cup, Spain faced off against Portugal hoping to put their troubles behind them with a convincing victory.After Diego Costa had cancelled out Ronaldo’s early goal, De Gea then made a rare mistake which caused Ronaldo’s shot to slip right through his hands and restored Portugal’s lead.Costa and Nacho then gave Spain a 3-2 lead, before De Gea conceded yet again against Ronaldo to end the tie at 3-3.Quiz: How much do you know about David Villa? Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Time to test your knowledge about Spanish legendary forward David Villa.However, Hierro defended Spain’s number one and insisted that their full focus is now on their next game against Iran on Wednesday at the Kazan Arena.“I see David as being very calm and he has all our confidence in full,” said Hierro, according to Football-Espana.“Players need confidence and support at all times and my decision is very clear, and I will be fair with every player.“The squad has had a day off and that helped David relax and step away, because we are more interested with natural methods in our preparations, making sure we get our heads right.
While some people are concerned that Juventus have made an error in paying a staggering €112m for a 33-year-old, Cristiano Ronaldo has vowed to prove them all wrong and insists that he is “different” from any other playerThe Serie A champions completed the signing of Ronaldo on Monday after the player successfully passed his medical at the JMedical centre and later signed a four-year contract with the Bianconeri.However, despite being a five-time Ballon d’Or winner, some see the €112m spent on Ronaldo as an absurd amount of money due to the Portuguese approaching his mid-thirties now and naturally approaching the latter stages of his incredible career.But Ronaldo, who has previously suggested that he will continue playing until the age of 41, insisted that such a thing like age is of no concern to him and that he is keen to prove his doubters wrong, as he embarks on a new challenge after nine glorious years at Real Madrid.“With all due respect, usually players of my age go to Qatar or China, so coming to such an outstanding club at this stage in my career makes me very happy,” said Ronaldo, as stated on Stuff.“I’m different from all the other players who think their career is over at my age. I want to show that I’m not like the others, I’m different. It’s an emotional moment for me because I’m not 23, I’m 33.”Fiorentina owner: “Ribery played better than Ronaldo!” Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Fiorentina owner Rocco Commisso was left gushing over Franck Ribery’s performance against Juventus, which he rates above that of even Cristiano Ronaldo’s.He added: “I’m not here on holiday,”“I want to mark the history of Juventus. I hope I can surprise everyone one last time and I’m very, very confident.”??? @Cristiano. ??#CR7DAY #CR7JUVE pic.twitter.com/83kAH1dI1y— JuventusFC (@juventusfcen) July 16, 2018
West Ham United have reportedly offered Samir Nasri a six-month deal that includes a weekly wage of £80,000The French midfielder has been training at West Ham since November in a bid to convince manager Manuel Pellegrini of his fitness and be awarded a contract.Nasri is currently a free agent with his last competitive outing being in August 2017 for Turkish side Antalyaspor in a Super Lig match against Yeni Malatyaspor.This is due to the fact that he’s still serving an 18-month ban from FIFA for breaching the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) rules in 2016.But the suspension will be lifted in January and Nasri can resume his playing career once more with West Ham his most likely destination.The 31-year-old previously played under Pellegrini at Manchester City four years ago and the Chilean has confirmed he’s interested in making a deal happen.Liverpool legend Nicol slams Harry Maguire’s Man United form Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Steve Nicol believes Harry Maguire has made some “horrendous mistakes” recently, and has failed to find his best form since joining Manchester United.Now the Daily Mirror claims that a six-month contract worth £80,000-a-week has been offered to Nasri with West Ham recently being hit by the loss of striker Javier Hernandez and defender Fabian Balbuena to injuries.Summer recruits Jack Wilshere, Andriy Yarmolenko and Carlos Sanchez are sidelined, while Manuel Lanzini remains out with a knee injury.The report adds that should Nasri impress the Hammers then they will likely take up an option to keep him beyond next summer.The ex-France international has spent the majority of his playing career in the Premier League for both Arsenal and City, where he won the title two times.After leaving the Etihad Stadium in 2016, Nasri had brief spells with La Liga side Sevilla and lastly Antalyaspor.
Ed Lenderman, July 9, 2019 Posted: July 9, 2019 Ed Lenderman Comic-Con celebrates 50 years in San Diego 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Comic-Con may be more than a week away, but its 50th anniversary in San Diego was celebrated today. And it was the County with the proclamation.As we told you recently, Comic-Con has re-upped. That includes its more than 130,000 attendees and the 10s of millions of dollars those fans spend.That’s along with local residents who flock to the Gaslamp Quarter to be part of it all. So, fresh off signing an agreement to stay in San Diego through 2024, County Supervisor Greg Cox recognized the pop culture phenomenon and all it’s meant to region, not just to the City.Comic-Con spokesperson David Glanzer stood beside him in the Supervisors’ Chambers as Cox read the proclamation: “We have declared July 9th, 2019 Comic-Con International 50th Anniversary Day. David, thank you so much for coming down and thank you for what you’ve done for the region: Attendees in the Chambers applauded.In an interview with KUSI, Glanzer told me, even in it’s infancy, organizers thought, “If we can just get people through the doors, they’ll come back and bring their friends.”And have they ever. Categories: Good Morning San Diego, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter