Tag: 上海夜网

Study: White men still dominate leadership positions in FBS

first_imgIn this Sept. 2, 2017, file photo, footballs sit on the turf ready for kick-off before the start of an NCAA football game between South Carolina and North Carolina State in Charlotte, N.C. (AP Photo/Bob Leverone, File)A diversity study finds that White men still “overwhelmingly” fill leadership positions at top-level college sports programs and conferences, leaving a “consistent underrepresentation of women and people of color” in those roles.The report card from The Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport (TIDES) at Central Florida finds only a slight improvement in racial and gender hiring for positions at Football Bowl Subdivision schools. The study examined positions that include university presidents or chancellors, athletic directors, faculty athletics representatives, conference commissioners and football coaching staffs.The overall grade was a D after the study examined data from the start of the 2018-19 season, combining a C grade for racial hiring and an F in gender hiring.“In our graduate program or any graduate program in the country — or even in an undergraduate program — a student with those grades wouldn’t be in school any longer,” said Richard Lapchick, the institute’s director and the lead report author. “They would be tossed out of the school on probation or even suspended. It just underlines the unacceptability of these numbers.”NCAA spokeswoman Stacey Osburn didn’t immediately return an email for comment Wednesday afternoon.The study found that 337 of 395 leadership positions in the study (about 85 percent) were held by Whites, a slight decrease from 86.6 percent reported in the 2017 study. And White men predominantly held those positions, making up 73 percent of college presidents or chancellors and nearly 77 percent of athletic directors at 130 FBS schools.The study also noted that White men hold nine of 10 FBS conference commissioner positions.By comparison, there are 22 women working as presidents or chancellors (about 17 percent), with only five of those being women of color, according to the study. There are 12 women working as FBS athletics directors, and all but two — UNLV’s Desiree Reed-Francois and Virginia’s Carla Williams — from that small group are White.Carla Williams, center, speaks with university officials before a news conference announcing her appointment as the Athletic Director for the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, Va., Monday, Oct. 23, 2017. Williams is the first African-American female Athletic Director at a Power 5 school. (Zack Wajsgras/The Daily Progress via AP)Still, Lapchick said, the hiring of three women as athletic directors and another as an interim AD in the past year offered “the only encouraging news in this particular report” — which he called “a lot of bad news.”“Progress has been glacial,” he said.The number of head football coaches of color remained similar to last year, going from 17 to 19. White men made up 62.4 percent of assistant football coach positions for a sport in which 54.3 percent of the players are Black.Lapchick supports the creation of what he calls the Eddie Robinson Rule — named after the late longtime Grambling coach — that would follow the lead of the NFL’s Rooney Rule requiring teams to interview a diverse group of candidates for open positions.“For me the factor that really could start to bring about change is athletes becoming outspoken,” Lapchick said.“I think we’re going to start to see student-athletes at the college level, as well as professional athletes, saying: why aren’t there more head coaches or athletic directors who are African-American or Latino or Asian-American or whatever the case may be — why don’t they look more like those of us that are on the playing field? I think their voice is going to become a potentially powerful voice.”___More AP college football: http://apnews.com/tag/collegefootball and http://www.twitter.com/AP_Top25___Follow Aaron Beard on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/aaronbeardaplast_img read more

Read More

Patraeus takes U.S. command in Iraq war

first_imgMeanwhile, the U.S. military reported the deaths of three more American soldiers, killed in an explosion Friday in Diyala province northeast of Baghdad. U.S. and Iraqi forces have battled Sunni insurgents and Shiite militias in Diyala for months. The deaths raised to 36 the number of Americans killed in Iraq so far this month. At least 3,120 service members have died since the Iraq war started in March 2003, according to an Associated Press count. At least 51 Iraqis were killed or found dead Saturday across the country. In one attack in central Baghdad, a car bomb exploded in a shopping district, killing six civilians and wounding 14. Petraeus, whose appointment was announced in early January, takes command of the roughly 135,000-strong U.S. force in Iraq after two previous tours: what was seen as a highly successful stint as head of the 101st Airborne Division in Mosul, and a second tour in charge of training Iraqi forces. Petraeus, who was only confirmed by the Senate on Jan. 26, assumed four-star general status in conjunction with taking over the command. “The stakes are very high. The way ahead will be hard, and there undoubtedly will be many tough days. But as I recently told members of the U.S. Senate, hard is not hopeless,” said Petraeus, who took over for 58-year-old Gen. George Casey. Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez was Casey’s predecessor and his tenure was marred by the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse scandal. He has since retired. The Sunni insurgency broke out during Sanchez’s command, and the conflict in Iraq took on the many of the aspects of a civil war during Casey’s tenure. Casey had focused on attempts to train Iraqi forces and on plans to turn over control of security to the Iraqi Army and national police. While Petraeus spoke of “barbaric enemies who brag of inhuman acts … in the name of religion,” outgoing commander Casey, who will become Army chief of staff, addressed the religious infighting that is tearing Iraq apart. “It’s no secret that sectarian violence … has changed the dynamics of what Iraqis must face here on the ground,” he said. “Everything’s not as I would have expected it to be or wanted it to be on my way out, but that’s kind of the way things are.” Casey said he was still too close to the situation to evaluate his tenure. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! BAGHDAD, Iraq – Gen. David Petraeus took charge of U.S. forces in Iraq on Saturday, becoming the third commander in the war and declaring the American task now was to help Iraqis “gain the time they need to save their country.” Petraeus took command under a glistening crystal chandelier in a former Saddam Hussein palace at Camp Victory. The media-savvy, Princeton-educated Petraeus, 54, spoke bluntly of the task before him that coincides with President George W. Bush’s decision to send an additional 21,500 U.S. troops to clamp off violence in Baghdad and nearby regions. “We will have to share the burdens and move forward together. If we can do that and if we can help the people of Iraq, the prospects of success are good,” he said. “Failing that, Iraq will be doomed to continued violence and civil strife.” last_img read more

Read More

African players in Europe: Salah set to be top EPL scorer again

first_imgHis Liverpool teammate Sadio Mane of Senegal, Gabon’s Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang of Arsenal and Argentine Sergio Aguero from Manchester City have 20 goals each.ENGLANDMOHAMED SALAH (LIVERPO0L)Egypt’s Salah had a lot to live up to after an astonishing campaign last season but his strike against Newcastle took him to 22 Premier League goals for the campaign — two clear of Manchester City’s Sergio Aguero.Salah was taken off after a collision with Newcastle goalkeeper Martin Dubravka but Jurgen Klopp will be desperate to have him back for the final league game of the season.CHRISTIAN ATSU (Newcastle)Newcastle United’s Ghanaian midfielder Christian Atsu celebrates after scoring their first goal during the English Premier League football match between Newcastle United and Liverpool at St James’ Park in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, north east England on May 4, 2019. © AFP / Lindsey PARNABYGhana international Atsu scored his first goal of the season, levelling for Newcastle as Rafael Benitez’s team threatened to derail Liverpool’s Premier League title quest.The 27-year-old midfielder cancelled out Virgil van Dijk’s opener but his side eventually went down 3-2.PIERRE-EMERICK AUBAMEYANG (Arsenal)Gabon forward Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang scored an early penalty for Arsenal that took his Premier League tally for the season to 20.But it was not enough to win the game as Brighton scored from the spot themselves to earn a 1-1 draw and all but extinguish Arsenal’s hopes of finishing in the top four.SPAINYOUSSEF EN-NESYRI (Leganes)Leganes’ Moroccan forward Youssef En-Nesyri (R) falls down during the Spanish league football match between Sevilla FC and Club Deportivo Leganes SAD at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan stadium in Seville on May 3, 2019. © AFP / CRISTINA QUICLEREn-Nesyri helped Leganes stun Sevilla with a 3-0 victory in La Liga that seriously damaged their opponents’ hopes of securing Champions League qualification.The Moroccan’s curled finish into the top corner in the eighth minute set Leganes on their way to a superb win that leaves Sevilla three points adrift of Getafe in the race for fourth place.En-Nesyri has scored 12 goals this season, although this was his first since a hat-trick against Real Betis in February.ITALYJEREMIE BOGA (Sassuolo)Ivory Coast international Boga scored a 78th minute equaliser as Sassuolo came from 2-0 down to grab a point against already-relegated Frosinone.KEITA BALDE DIAO (Inter Milan)Senegalese striker Balde Diao came on as a late substitute but missed the chance to score the winner as Inter Milan were held to a third consecutive stalemate with a goalless draw at Udinese.Goalkeeper Juan Musso denied Keita at close range. The result means Inter Milan’s Champions League ambitions are seriously under pressure.GERMANYSALOMON KALOU (Hertha Berlin)The veteran Ivorian striker netted as Hertha ended a seven-game winless run with a 3-1 home victory over Stuttgart.Kalou scored Hertha’s third goal after Vedad Ibisevic opened the scoring in the first half to end a three-game goal drought for the Berliners.ISHAK BELFODIL (Hoffenheim)The Algerian forward missed one of several chances to win the game as Hoffenheim stumbled in the race for Europe in a 2-2 draw with Borussia Moenchengladbach.Belfodil had the chance to put Hoffenheim two goals up just after half-time as Gladbach twice came from behind to snatch a fortunate home draw.MARCEL TISSERAND (Wolfsburg)The Democratic Republic of Congo international scored his first Bundesliga goal as Wolfsburg beat Nuremberg 2-0.Centre-back Tisserand netted Wolfsburg’s second in a crucial victory which saw them leapfrog Hoffenheim into the Europa League qualification spots.FRANCENICOLAS PEPE (Lille)France-born Ivory Coast forward Pepe has been instrumental in Lille’s fine run to the brink of Champions League football next season.His 20-goal haul has helped Lille all but guarantee finishing second and with it direct entry to the group stages of Europe’s elite competition.While he didn’t score in the 2-2 draw with Lyon, his pinpoint free-kick set up Boubakary Soumare for Lille’s second goal.0Shares0000(Visited 16 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Liverpool’s Egyptian midfielder Mohamed Salah (R) celebrates with Liverpool’s Scottish defender Andrew Robertson (L) after scoring their second goal during the English Premier League football match between Newcastle United and Liverpool at St James’ Park in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, north east England on May 4, 2019. © AFP / Lindsey PARNABYPARIS, France, May 6 – Reigning African Footballer of the Year Mohamed Salah is poised to become the leading English Premier League scorer for the second successive season.The Egyptian netted before being carried off following a blow to the head as Liverpool triumphed 3-2 at Newcastle to keep the title race with Manchester City alive. His goal took his season’s total to 22, two more than his closest challengers.last_img read more

Read More

Play Your Part / Sowetan Dialogues comes to Mmabatho

first_imgBrand South Africa is continuing with its Play Your Part / Sowetan Dialogues, with the latest in the series to be held in Mafikeng in the North West province on 26 March.Titled ‘Celebrating Human Rights Day: Does the Bill of Rights work for you?’, the dialogue will take place at the Mmabatho Civic Centre from 6pm until 8.45pm. This public dialogue forms part of a six part dialogue series aimed at promoting the pillars of South Africa’s National Development Plan, as well as to promote civic pride.Human Rights Day in South Africa is linked with 21 March 1960, and the events that took place in Sharpeville, when 69 people died and 180 were wounded when police fired on a peaceful crowd that had gathered to protest against the Pass laws.According to the Parliament of South Africa, Human rights are rights that everyone should have simply because they are humans, but human rights are also a product of historical and social situations. In 1948, the United Nations defined 30 articles of human rights in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The United Nations succeeded the League of Nations, and the Universal Declaration is one of its crucial platforms.It founds universal human rights on the basis of freedom, justice, and peace. South Africa supports the Universal Declaration, and we have included many of its precepts in our own Bill of Rights, Chapter 2 of the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, 1996.“Just as the Constitution is our supreme law, and no laws may be passed that go against it, the Bill of Rights is the cornerstone of democracy in South Africa. The Bill of Rights also comprehensively addresses South Africa’s history of colonialism, slavery and apartheid. The Bill of Rights embeds the rights of all people in our country in an enduring affirmation of the democratic values of human dignity, equality and freedom.”The Dialogue provides members of the audience with a chance to respond, as well as put forward their views on the topics raised in the President’s State of the Nation address, as well as put forward ideas on how ordinary South Africans can Play their Part to realise their desires and ensure that the government’s plans for their communities are carried out.The facilitator at the event will be Botho Masigo from Mafikeng FM, and speakers include advocate Lawrence Mushwana, currently chairperson of the South African Human Rights Commission and previously the Public Protector from 2002 to 2009; Tiseke Kasambala, southern Africa director of Human Rights Watch; advocate Pansy Tlakula, chairperson of the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC); and Folusho Mvubu, director of Service Delivery Improvement Support at the Department of Public Service and Administration.last_img read more

Read More

4 days ago​Neville insists Man Utd must gamble in transfer market

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say ​Neville insists Man Utd must gamble in transfer marketby Freddie Taylor4 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveGary Neville wants Manchester United to invest in reinforcements in the January transfer window.United are suffering a poor start to the season, which sees them just above the relegation places in the league.One of their significant issues involves a lack of goals, which Neville thinks they can only remedy in the transfer market.United sold Romelu Lukaku this summer, but did not replace him.”It won’t be a gamble in January as United need to go into the transfer market at the earliest opportunity because they obviously didn’t replace Lukaku,” the former defender told Sky Sports.”Those young lads out there – Pereira, McTominay, Wan-Bissaka, Rashford – they have to still buy to a style of play. “There would be no point signing a replacement for Lukaku that’s the same type.” last_img read more

Read More

Christmas is coming early for Alphonso Davies

first_imgThe new Bayern Munich signing will train during the festive season with his new German Bundesliga clubCanadian wonderkid Alphonso Davies started his professional career with Major League Soccer (MLS) club Vancouver Whitecaps in 2016.But before this season was over, he signed for German Bundesliga giants Bayern Munich.“For the first few weeks I don’t expect much to happen,” Davies was quoted by the Bundesliga official website.RB Leipzig, Bayern Munich, Robert LewadowskiMatch Preview: RB Leipzig vs Bayern Munich Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 RB Leipzig will have the chance to prove their title-winning capabilities when they host Bayern Munich today at 18:30 (CET).“I’m just going to go over and get my feet wet. I think three or four weeks with the team before the Christmas break will be really helpful.”“I just wanted to be home with my family and to hang out with my friends,” Davies explained.“It was good. My friends made me feel like a 17-year-old, especially the night I went trick or treating with them.”“We hit quite a few houses. We had a big bag for the candy and it filled up pretty quickly. It was nice to spend time with my parents, too,” he added.last_img read more

Read More

Report Samir Nasri offered a contract by West Ham

first_imgWest Ham United have reportedly offered Samir Nasri a six-month deal that includes a weekly wage of £80,000The French midfielder has been training at West Ham since November in a bid to convince manager Manuel Pellegrini of his fitness and be awarded a contract.Nasri is currently a free agent with his last competitive outing being in August 2017 for Turkish side Antalyaspor in a Super Lig match against Yeni Malatyaspor.This is due to the fact that he’s still serving an 18-month ban from FIFA for breaching the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) rules in 2016.But the suspension will be lifted in January and Nasri can resume his playing career once more with West Ham his most likely destination.The 31-year-old previously played under Pellegrini at Manchester City four years ago and the Chilean has confirmed he’s interested in making a deal happen.Harry Maguire, Manchester UnitedLiverpool legend Nicol slams Harry Maguire’s Man United form Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Steve Nicol believes Harry Maguire has made some “horrendous mistakes” recently, and has failed to find his best form since joining Manchester United.Now the Daily Mirror claims that a six-month contract worth £80,000-a-week has been offered to Nasri with West Ham recently being hit by the loss of striker Javier Hernandez and defender Fabian Balbuena to injuries.Summer recruits Jack Wilshere, Andriy Yarmolenko and Carlos Sanchez are sidelined, while Manuel Lanzini remains out with a knee injury.The report adds that should Nasri impress the Hammers then they will likely take up an option to keep him beyond next summer.The ex-France international has spent the majority of his playing career in the Premier League for both Arsenal and City, where he won the title two times.After leaving the Etihad Stadium in 2016, Nasri had brief spells with La Liga side Sevilla and lastly Antalyaspor.last_img read more

Read More