first_imgFamilies in Halifax will have greater access to infant child care when the new Alexandra Children’s Centre opens next year. The child-care centre is growing thanks to an expansion grant worth $780,821, delivered by Community Services Minister Judy Streatch today, Sept. 13. The not-for-profit, child-care centre will add an infant program that will accommodate up to 10 children ages 12 months to 18 months when the new building opens in January 2007. The expanded centre will be licensed to care for 95 children between the ages of 12 months and five years. Alexandra Children’s Centre and the community raised $600,000 to help build the 10,000 square foot facility on Devonshire Avenue in Halifax. “Parents who work or go to school rely on day-care centres like Alexandra Children’s Centre,” said Ms. Streatch. “We’re helping this centre provide a great resource where local families can be confident their children will be well cared for each day. “With investments like the Child Care Centre Expansion Grant, we are helping Nova Scotia families, children and child-care professionals. This funding will help to expand, or build new centres, and accommodate more spaces and programs.” “This is an exciting opportunity for Alexandra Children’s Centre and the families that we serve. I would like to thank all levels of government for their support and sponsorship to early learning and child care,” said Karen Geddes, executive director of Alexandra Children’s Centre. “In November we will be celebrating 35 years of operation and what a great way to mark this milestone.” A 2003 joint agreement by the provincial and federal governments has helped 15 centres with expansion grant funding. The Child Care Centre Expansion Grant funding was available to licensed, non-profit and commercial child-care centres to expand existing facilities or to help with the cost of constructing a new child-care space. Non-profit child-care centres were eligible for up to 75 per cent of the costs of expansion or new construction. The child-care centre was responsible for funding the remaining 25 per cent through in-kind services and/or financial contributions.last_img

Leave a Reply